National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
SO14 3ZH. UK.
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6202,
Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 6204,
I am a physical ocean modeller, interested in all aspects of ocean circulation. My recent interests have covered:
- Eddy parameterisation
- Planetary waves
- Propagating features
- Effects of topography
I am the Chief Editor of Ocean Modelling, an online refereed journal at Elsevier Press.
I also work in social networks, with emphasis on using network methods to find ways to count apparently uncountable populations, such as the HIV+ community, rape victims, etc., and the small world problem. You will find some of these papers in my ftp space. A list is here.
Titles of recently published papers:
- Hogg, A. McC., W. K. Dewar, P. D. Killworth, and J. R. Blundell. A quasi-geostrophic coupled model: Q-GCM. Month. Weath. Rev., 131, 2261-2278.
- Hogg, A. McC., and P. D. Killworth. Continuously stratified exchange flow through a contraction in a channel. J. Fluid Mech., 499, 257-276.
- Killworth, P. D. Some physical and numerical details of frictional planetary geostrophic models. SOC internal report, no. 90.
- Hogg, A. McC., J. R. Blundell, W. K. Dewar and P. D. Killworth. Formulation and users' guide for Q-GCM. SOC internal report.
- Killworth, P. D. Inclusion of the bottom boundary layer in ocean models. In: 'Aha Huliko'a Winter Workshop on Near Boundary Processes and their Parameterization, ed. P. Muller.
- Killworth, P. D., Cipollini, P., B. M. Uz and J. R. Blundell. Physical and biological mechanisms for planetary waves observed in sea-surface chlorophyll. J. Geophys. Res., 109, C07002, doi:10.1029/2003JC001768.
- Killworth, P. D. Particle paths in Rossby waves: does the hay rake sweep up particles? Science, 16 April 2004; 304: 390 [DOI: 10.1126/science.1094870] (in Technical Comments).
- Killworth, P. D., and J. R. Blundell. The dispersion relation for planetary waves in the presence of mean flow and topography: I. Analytical theory and one-dimensional examples. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 34, 2692-2711.
- Hogg, A. McC., P. D. Killworth, W. K. Dewar, and J. R. Blundell. On the Mechanisms of Decadal Variability of the Wind-Driven Ocean Circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr, 35, 512-531.
- Hogg, A. McC., W. K. Dewar, P. D. Killworth and J. R. Blundell. Decadal Variability of the Midlatitude Climate System driven by the ocean circulation. J. Climate, 19, 1149-1166.
- Killworth, P. D., and J. R. Blundell. The dispersion relation for planetary waves in the presence of mean flow and topography: II. Two-dimensional examples and global results. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 35, 2110-2133.
- Killworth, P. D. Parameterisation of eddy effects on mixed layers and tracer transports: a linearised eddy perspective. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 35, 1717-1725.
- Farneti, R. and P. D. Killworth. On the use of energy balance models with an underlying ocean. Tellus, 57A, 742-757.
- Riemenschneider, U., D. A. Smeed and P. D. Killworth. Theory of two-layer hydraulic exchange with rotation. J. Fluid Mech., in press.
- Alderson, S. G. and P. D. Killworth. A pre-operational scheme for calculating sea surface height by Bernoulli inverse of ARGO float data in the North Atlantic. J. Atm. Ocean Tech., 22, 1416-1422.
- Killworth, P. D. and J. R. Blundell. Planetary wave response to surface forcing and to instability in the presence of mean flow and topography. J. Phys. Oceanogr., in press.
- Hirschi, J. M., Killworth, P. D. and J. R. Blundell. Subannual, seasonal and interannual variability of the North Atlantic meridional overturning circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., in press.
- Maharaj, A. M., Cipollini, P., Holbrook, N. J., Killworth, P. D., and Blundell, J. R. An evaluation of the classical and extended Rossby wave theories in explaining spectral estimates of the first few baroclinic modes in the South Pacific Ocean. Ocean Dynamics, in press.
You will find a list of the papers in my ftp space here.
Complete list of publications.
Check out papers and diagrams, including the TRACMASS leaflet in postscript at my ftp space. The majority of the filenames should be self-explanatory.
I have written software for the (ex-Acorn) RISC OS operating system. Click here to see the selection.